Co-Founder

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,864 posts
  • My outfit: Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and Kia Sorrento XE

• Real first name: Sonja
  • Expertise: T&T Rally organiser

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

We need to up awareness from dreadful carbon monoxide poisoning from BBQ's being taken into peoples tents, or confined spaces or possibly even being used too close

There seems to be a large number of people that don't know that the fumes can kill.

It's an appalling waste of life and totally avoidable

Can we just let as many people know as possible, if this campaign stops one death then its got to be worth shouting from the rooftops, the more people we tell the less we will read about any more incidents in the news

Also the types of BBQ involved are not the same, sometimes they are coal ones, sometimes gas the problem is the carbon monoxide exuded that is invisible and odourless

Just some of the deaths in the news from recent times,
Jesse Viers and Larnelle Hyden USA Feb 2009
Hazel Woodhams July 2011
Vincent Clare July 2011
Tracy Anne Elizabeth Screen August 2011
Isabelle Harris April 2012

near miss for a family poisoned by fumes August 2011

New advice flyer

So come on, Im going to share this on Facebook too, lets get this out there for everybody

Click here to view the article
  • michpiggy likes this

#2 Katharita

Katharita

rock solid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • My outfit: boots

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

We have just had a fire check for the house 2 New Smoke Alarms fitted free Also advised to get 2 Carbon Monoxide Alarms

As Carbon Monoxide Alarms do not have to be fixed we are going to take one with us in the caravan

We bought 2 for £26 from Argos .

#3 markf

markf

Daft Wullie

• Admin
  • 13,203 posts
  • My outfit: Bailey Pageant Bordeaux Kia Sorento

• Real first name: Mark
  • Expertise: None at the moment
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

Unconfirmed as yet but sadly it seems to have happened again

http://www.dailymail...e-campsite.html

Follow Touring and Tenting on
crowd.png socialtwitter.png socialfacebook.png big-p-button.png SiteSee.png

Ils peuvent nous copier mais ils wil triomphe pas

#4 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,983 posts
  • My outfit: Lunar Delta TI towed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Ltd 3.0L auto

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

It is very tragic and shouldn't be happening. Although this might sound cruel are these people total morons or just idiots. Surely common sense should prevail? Why should the rest of the population have to nanny them? If we keep on nannying people they will never learn!
  • Predictable Bob likes this
Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Ltd 3.0L auto
Lunar Delta TI

#5 Amandaj

Amandaj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • My outfit: bailey beachcomber

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

another terrible accident
http://www.dailymail...e-incident.html

#6 SMEESH

SMEESH

wobbly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • My outfit: 2004 Ace Jubilee Statesman behind a Jaguar S Type 2.7d se

• Real first name: IAN
  • Expertise: Usualy saying the wrong thing at the wrong time !

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

It is very tragic and shouldn't be happening. Although this might sound cruel are these people total morons or just idiots. Surely common sense should prevail? Why should the rest of the population have to nanny them? If we keep on nannying people they will never learn!

Problem is we have to keep "nannying people " as you put it or they will never learn.Not being a Tenter but do the manufacturers not give warning advice attached to the tent on the the dangers of CO ? Think the Facebook idea is excellent and if I was a Site Owner or Warden I would have Information on the dangers of CO with maybe friendly advice whilst booking in. With a wee bit of education hopefully the message will eventually sink in ................

Smeesh......Posted Image

#7 avtur1

avtur1

guru

• Top Posters
  • 1,732 posts

• Real first name: Paul

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:26 AM

A saying that I've come across many times in life is "you don't know what you don't know" ... The dangers of BBQ's and portable BBQ's may be screamingly obvious to many of us ..... Those of us posting on here .... But clearly there are many folks who don't understand the risk ... And as much as I am normally a person to hold individuals accountable for their own actions I wonder if there is a problem here with lack of knowledge .... Yes WE all know the dangers of BBQ's in confined spaces but this keeps happening which tends to suggest there is a lack of public information on the subject. So the challenge is how to up the game ... This is so sad and so unnecessary.

I'm posting this from our weekend retreat in beautiful north wales, there are thousands of people in this area this weekend having a much earned weekend away .... But I bet there are a few dodgy BBQ's going. One of last years incidents happened on a site just a few miles from where I am now ... The site has closed the incident wasn't their fault but the after effects are far reaching. ....
2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS / 2009 Volvo V70 SE - 2011 Golf 6 Estate - lost in April 13 2004 Ford Focus Estate 1.6 petrol + Fleetwood Sonata Melody
Posted Image

#8 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

I was under the impression that simple science was still taught at schools? Not sure if it is a compulsory subject now as in days gone by it was up to a certain grade. Can someone please enlighten me as our kids attended school overseas?

Lunar Delta TI

#9 sonjaf

sonjaf

Co-Founder

• Admin
  • 19,864 posts
  • My outfit: Bailey Pageant Bordeaux and Kia Sorrento XE

• Real first name: Sonja
  • Expertise: T&T Rally organiser

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

A saying that I've come across many times in life is "you don't know what you don't know" ... The dangers of BBQ's and portable BBQ's may be screamingly obvious to many of us ..... Those of us posting on here .... But clearly there are many folks who don't understand the risk ... And as much as I am normally a person to hold individuals accountable for their own actions I wonder if there is a problem here with lack of knowledge .... Yes WE all know the dangers of BBQ's in confined spaces but this keeps happening which tends to suggest there is a lack of public information on the subject. So the challenge is how to up the game ... This is so sad and so unnecessary.

And that is why I would like people to post everywhere, because as obvious as it is to us, there must be lots of people who just dont think that the risk ia as serious as it actually is.

#10 AlBundy65

AlBundy65

guru

• Top Posters
  • 1,145 posts
  • My outfit: Wyoming s6, and jeep

• Real first name: Alan
  • Expertise: can turn full wine bottles into empty ones
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

And that is why I would like people to post everywhere, because as obvious as it is to us, there must be lots of people who just dont think that the risk ia as serious as it actually is.

For my sins, I work in laundrys, repairing large washers tumble dryers etc. Most of the large dryers are heated by gas, therefore the laundry rooms have nice big ventilation holes in the wall. I've lost count of the number of times I've visited sites where the ventilation has been blocked off, with the excuse given ' it's cold ', I do point out that it is a lot colder six foot underground, but this falls on deaf ears as I know when I go there again, the vents will be blocked off again. Speaking with the managers you get a smile and a nod, but you know it's a case of in one ear and out of the other. Think I might cut and copy these reports and leave a few copies when I visit sites, doubt if it will make any difference, but guess you gotta try whatever you can. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Mister H

Mister H

Probably grumpy

• Inactive
  • 1,658 posts
  • My outfit: Lovely

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

I wonder if we can get parks and sites in on this to make people more aware?

#12 Predictable Bob

Predictable Bob

Little old wine drinker me

• Top Posters
  • 8,488 posts
  • My outfit: Something Pink

• Real first name: Baldy Locks
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Posted Image

My initial reaction to this was a fairly callous "Just another way to cleanse the gene pool" but a little thought reminded me that the average person in this world isn't actually that bright and would benefit from a little assistance in all sorts of ways.

Perhaps if the CC and C&CC members on here were to all email their clubs something positive would happen - having said that I can't help thinking that the people most at risk aren't members of the major organisations. The next question is how do you get the message across to the independent sites ?

I can understand that organisations/sites might be loathe to include a warning in every welcome pack but it wouldn't cost much for every site to put up a simple hi vis sign in reception would it ?

Cooking in tents and awnings KILLS !

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Grandad Graham likes this
Toyota Surf 3.0 TD Intercooler
Series 6 Bailey Senator Virginia

My Webshots

Life's too important to take seriously !

#13 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

I wonder if we can get parks and sites in on this to make people more aware?

It is not their, and it should never be, responsibility to educate people otherwise we would have a million rules on do's and don't's. Imagine all the rules that could be associated with having a BBQ in the open, i.e. don't stand downwidn as smoke inhalation is harmful, don't drink and eat as it is harmful, don't use a match to start a BBQ etc etc. Perhaps a warning on the bag of charcoal or disposable BBQ would be better.

Lunar Delta TI

#14 Predictable Bob

Predictable Bob

Little old wine drinker me

• Top Posters
  • 8,488 posts
  • My outfit: Something Pink

• Real first name: Baldy Locks
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

Posted Image

That's an EXCELLENT idea Ian !

Perhaps an approach to the major suppliers/retailers ? And also the gas suppliers - Calor, BP, Flo Gas etc ?

:England:
Toyota Surf 3.0 TD Intercooler
Series 6 Bailey Senator Virginia

My Webshots

Life's too important to take seriously !

#15 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,983 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Posted Image

That's an EXCELLENT idea Ian !

Perhaps an approach to the major suppliers/retailers ? And also the gas suppliers - Calor, BP, Flo Gas etc ?

Posted Image

Questions are of course whether these people are able or will read it even if it is in half a dozen languages, take any notice of the warning, ignore it as they know better or do something about it. Somehow, sadly the latter option probably will not happen.

Lunar Delta TI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users