• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts
  • My outfit: 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 586, 2013 Mercedes C220 estate

• Real first name: Have a guess.......
  • Expertise: Engineering & Design Manager
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

My parents have bought a new (to them) caravan, a 1997 ABI. They also asked the dealer to supply and fit a Reich motor mover to help them get it down the driveway. They collect the new caravan today but the dealer hasn't had chance to fit the mover & they have to take the 'van back in a couple of weeks time to get it fitted.

To save them having to travel back & forth (the dealer is about 40 miles away) they asked me if I could fit it if they brought it away from the dealer with them. Are they a "bolt in" fit? If it is and the electrical side involves a feed & return with a fuse holder then I have no problem. If its more involved than that then I will decline. The dealer said fitting one to a single axle was around five hours, so I'm guessing it is quite involved????

2013 Mercedes C220 estate
2014 Swift Challenger Sport 586
2003 Chocolate brown labrador (Fudge), "brain not included"

www.the-ace.org.uk

#2 iancjc

iancjc

Ok then...just one more!

• Top Posters
  • 6,181 posts
  • My outfit: Skoda Superb estate

• Real first name: Ian
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Depending how much the reich is costing it maybe worth looking for a mobile fitter to supply and fit and opting not to buy the mover from the dealer.

there are loads of companies who do nationwide fitting of various makes.

I would guess they would also do a fit for a fee if you have all the parts?

worth a price check as the ABI (I guess) won't be very heavy so any mover would probably do the job.

Skoda superb 170 elegance (L&K) Estate

#3 klyne

klyne

I love Milton Keynes

• Top Posters
  • 3,501 posts
  • My outfit: Bailey Approach 740 Motorhome

• Real first name: David

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:06 AM

Gary

I have fitted a Reich to two vans. Its not a particularly difficult job although its better if you have two people as you have to lift and hold some quite heavy parts. Not sure if this is any help but I recorded how I did it here http://www.davidklyn..._a_motor_mo.htm I have reached to point in my life where I now pay other people to do things like this but it is a reasobably easy DIY job.

David
David - Milton Keynes
Bailey Approach 740 Motorhome + Kia Venga for home

Caravantravels

#4 RogerL

RogerL

Free Spirit

• Top Posters
  • 6,655 posts
  • My outfit: Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

• Expertise: Advanced Driving

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:17 AM

I didn't find it a problem when I fitted my PowrTouch although it took me quite a long time - not rushing and not wanting any foul-ups.

I used my levelling ramps and blocks to raise the caravan up about 8" safely because it's a bit fiddly lying on your back under a caravan wearing bifocal/varifocal glasses.

Just seen your location, if your parents are nearby give Tony Perkins a call on 07747 308 983 - he's now "my" mobile engineer since I've given up DIY.
Roger
Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French, and it is all organised by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the cooks British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians.

#5 Challenger

Challenger

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Top Posters
  • 2,078 posts
  • My outfit: Swift Conqueror 480 (13)/VW Tiguan 140 Auto

• Real first name: John
  • Expertise: Caravanning, computing

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

I think it depends how agile you are as you will have to clamber under the van. I looked at fitting my own but after I saw the amount of work involved I am glad I didn't. Suggest you find a mobile fitter in the area.
The other point is, if it doesn't work you will be the one to blame!!!!!
John

#6 mr_sheens

mr_sheens

Trade Member

• Trade member
  • 1,045 posts
  • My outfit: 2007 Nissan Navara.......between caravans

• Expertise: HND mechanical engineer production and design. City & Guilds in Caravan Servicing since 1994. ACOPs registered. 16th Edition Mains Accredited. CITO Electrical Competence Certificated for PIR`s

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

there is going to be a code of practice in the fitting of motor movers. its to make sure they are fitted correctly because of the amount which arent and pose a safety isssue

General Manager, fully qualified Aftersales Manager & Master Technician

Follow Reads

Posted Image Posted Image

#7 GaryB

GaryB

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,482 posts
  • My outfit: 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 586, 2013 Mercedes C220 estate

• Real first name: Have a guess.......
  • Expertise: Engineering & Design Manager
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:57 PM

Okay, slight change of plan (possibly). They collected the new caravan today (1997 ABI Dalesman with a MTPLM of 1045kgs) and their old 'van had some damp. Rather than have £500 knocked off the trade in they've not gone ahead with the mover. On getting the new one back home they're regretting that decision!

So, they're now looking at all movers rather than just the Reich that the dealer stocked. They've seen the one sold by Towsure for around £495, but cheapest isn't always best.

Any recommendations for ones that are in the £500-£600 region? Personnally I prefer the ones with the aluminium rollers (with the extruded serrations) over the glued-on-grit type, but any comments are appreciated. I may end up fitting it, but I'll pass on the name of Roger's mobile engineer (they are in Loughborough which is a bit further afield).

2013 Mercedes C220 estate
2014 Swift Challenger Sport 586
2003 Chocolate brown labrador (Fudge), "brain not included"

www.the-ace.org.uk

#8 Challenger

Challenger

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Top Posters
  • 2,078 posts
  • My outfit: Swift Conqueror 480 (13)/VW Tiguan 140 Auto

• Real first name: John
  • Expertise: Caravanning, computing

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:23 PM

You could try these if you can get one
http://www.caravanmo...oyal/titan.html
John

#9 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius.

• Top Posters
  • 3,862 posts
  • My outfit: 2008 Kia Sportage CRDi versus Sprite Quattro FB

• Real first name: Lenny
  • Expertise: Personal adviser to Casanova :)

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:49 PM

there is going to be a code of practice in the fitting of motor movers. its to make sure they are fitted correctly because of the amount which arent and pose a safety isssue

How would that work Shane?

A code of practice is, and i quote: "advice to duty holders on how to comply with legislation". Its not a legal requirement to follow ACoPs. So to what legislation would motor mover fitting come under to allow a fitter advice on how to comply with it?

GaryB: I fitted a Rhyno, 10 bolts, 4 self tapping screws to screw the control box into the floor, and 6 wires connected into the control box which are marked terminals anyway. Hardest part was getting the right mm distance on the roller to wheel. Easier if you have someone else with you for help.
Ive fitted harder household plugs, and as far as ive seen most movers are similar to fit.
In Consilio Sapientia

#10 mr_sheens

mr_sheens

Trade Member

• Trade member
  • 1,045 posts

• Expertise: HND mechanical engineer production and design. City & Guilds in Caravan Servicing since 1994. ACOPs registered. 16th Edition Mains Accredited. CITO Electrical Competence Certificated for PIR`s

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

its a code of practice within the industry. mover manufacturers and caravan manufacturers are being consulted to have an industry recognised standard method of fitting and the movers must meet minimum requirements in specification and operation. this said, it is at a very early stage and its to tighten up safety

Follow Reads

#11 John Douglas

John Douglas

guru

• Top Posters
  • 1,596 posts
  • My outfit: C5 HDI Executive Estate/Avondale Rialto 480/2

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:19 PM

Hardest part was getting the right mm distance on the roller to wheel.

It's seven years ago that I fitted my Powrwheel mover and if I remember rightly the kit came with a small block of wood. It was a simple matter of holding the block against the correct pressured tyre and bringing the roller up tight against it, before tightening the bolts.

#12 RogerL

RogerL

Free Spirit

• Top Posters
  • 6,655 posts
  • My outfit: Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

• Expertise: Advanced Driving

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

Okay, slight change of plan (possibly). They collected the new caravan today (1997 ABI Dalesman with a MTPLM of 1045kgs) and their old 'van had some damp. Rather than have £500 knocked off the trade in they've not gone ahead with the mover. On getting the new one back home they're regretting that decision!

So, they're now looking at all movers rather than just the Reich that the dealer stocked. They've seen the one sold by Towsure for around £495, but cheapest isn't always best.

Any recommendations for ones that are in the £500-£600 region? Personnally I prefer the ones with the aluminium rollers (with the extruded serrations) over the glued-on-grit type, but any comments are appreciated. I may end up fitting it, but I'll pass on the name of Roger's mobile engineer (they are in Loughborough which is a bit further afield).

Tony Perkins is based in Coalville so Loughborough should be within his radius of operation.
Roger
Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French, and it is all organised by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the cooks British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians.

#13 lesr48

lesr48

rock solid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • My outfit: VW Passat and Adria Adora (the explorer)612DP

• Real first name: Lester
  • Expertise: Removal of corks and bottle tops.
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi,
I bought a new E-GO mover costing £599 delivered and it is a really robust piece of kit. I also fitted it to my new Adria 612DP one sunny afternoon whilst at Clumber park CC site. It took around 4 hours all told
If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

#14 Millstone

Millstone

100%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • My outfit: Mercedes-Benz A180 CDI Avenguard (the wife's) / Skoda Yeti CR170 4X4 Elegence + Lunar Clubman SB

• Real first name: Richard

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

You could try these if you can get one
http://www.caravanmo...oyal/titan.html

Try these people http://www.bolsover-caravans.com/ they do lots of makes and will do you a good deal, and will fit at home.

#15 mr_sheens

mr_sheens

Trade Member

• Trade member
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:03 PM

right at the moment we are fitting a lot of the purpleline enduro2 movers. good price and good bit of kit

Follow Reads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users