shinydoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • My outfit: 6 person dome tent

• Expertise: Electrical, DIY and anything I feel confident with

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I am new to this and just got kitted out with the basics. I want to make an EHU box with cable with MCBs and RCD (It's OK, I am qualified to do it) but I am surprised at the lengths of cable on the ready made ones; 20m!

Based on your experience, how long a lead do I really need, ie how far away from the EHU will I be in my tent? Has anyone ever needed a cable 20m (over 60ft!) to reach the EHU post?

Also, how much power can be drawn? I see that 10A seems to be the lowest and some go up to 16A; should I cater for 10 to be sure, or are they rare these days, with 16A more the norm?

Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 discokid

discokid

wobbly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • My outfit: Disco V8 LPG (Great) / Compass (V.Iffy)

• Expertise: done a bit of many things

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

Can't speak for tent sites, but I have needed the 20metres on occasion .. have seen some where you needed more ..

allow for 16 Amp .. as you know 10 amp down a 16A cable is fine .. but why restrict yourself to 10 when 16 is available
A man is never old enough to know better.

#3 olderbutnotwiser

olderbutnotwiser

Always tired

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,800 posts
  • My outfit: Adria Adora 532LT + VW Passat Estate 2.0 tdi SEL DSG 170bhp

• Real first name: Jim
  • Expertise: [This space intentionally left blank]
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

Standard caravan EHU cables are 25m. Even then I've once or twice needed to join two together.
Jim

#4 Grandad Graham

Grandad Graham

the two of us and 10 grandkids ..... HELP!!!!

• Top Posters
  • 3,950 posts
  • My outfit: Kia Sorento 1 2WD 2.2crdi (soon to be Nissan Xtrail nTec) + Bailey Pageant Champagne 2003 at 1300 kg

• Real first name: Graham
  • Expertise: maggot drowning CHEAP vacations
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

Welcome to the mad world of Camping Posted Image

Hi everyone,
I am new to this and just got kitted out with the basics. I want to make an EHU box with cable with MCBs and RCD (It's OK, I am qualified to do it) but I am surprised at the lengths of cable on the ready made ones; 20m!
Based on your experience, how long a lead do I really need, ie how far away from the EHU will I be in my tent? Has anyone ever needed a cable 20m (over 60ft!) to reach the EHU post?
Also, how much power can be drawn? I see that 10A seems to be the lowest and some go up to 16A; should I cater for 10 to be sure, or are they rare these days, with 16A more the norm?
Thanks in advance for your help

Some French sites we have stayed at needed 40 metres of cable

and some have only given 6amp

but you should always cater for more than you can get 16 amp is common on a lot of commercial sites in the UK
It's when you go abroad that amperage varies so much the minimum I've had is 3 but have had 5 -6 - 8 - 10 - 12 - 13 and of course 16

technically in the EU the maximum cable you SHOULD use is 25 metres but I know of at least 3 French sites and one Spanish one where we have had to do the supposedly illegal act of coupling 2 leads together

Regards

Graham & Stephanie

The Madcaravanners Cheap holiday Experts

website here- - - - - - - - pictures here

2013 outings 35 nights & 1910 miles towed
2014 outings 00 nights & 0000 miles towed
Geocaches found - - 94

Jan 2014 Ryanair to Lanzarote-Costa Teguise (Galeon Playa Appt) with Red Pennant insurance too -- -- Done

New Car due 25th 

June 28-July 6 - Haven Caister 8 nights for some Seaside fun
July 6 - July 10 Caravan Club Site Cherry Hinton 2 nights for LE Tour

July 10 - July 14 Pentire Haven Holiday Park Bude
July 8- July ?? Little Switzerland Folkestone 3-5 nights for a shopping Trip

#5 Challenger

Challenger

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Top Posters
  • 2,054 posts
  • My outfit: Swift Conqueror 480 (13)/VW Tiguan 140 Auto

• Real first name: John
  • Expertise: Caravanning, computing

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

We have 2. One 25m and one 10m. Usually only use the 10m one but have been known to join them together.
John

#6 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,937 posts
  • My outfit: Lunar Delta TI towed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Ltd 3.0L auto

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Surely it is cheaper and less hassle to buy a ready made cable than to make one up? Also you may have hassles on some sites with the warden if they see it is a non standard cable.
Sometimes I pretend to be normal, but it gets boring so I go back to being me.

Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Ltd 3.0L auto
Lunar Delta TI

#7 shinydoc

shinydoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

Surely it is cheaper and less hassle to buy a ready made cable than to make one up? Also you may have hassles on some sites with the warden if they see it is a non standard cable.

That depends, as it is not just about cost. I was looking at a £40 bargain unit in Aldi yesterday, which is the identical unit as here and had 3 outlets, RCD, 10A MCB, but uses cheap F&S components. These are cheap Chinese devices and are extremely poor quality, built to a price. (Google 'F&S C45N' or Here on this Forum) For £40 and 30mins work I can build a better quality unit, with a higher IP rating, with quality commercial parts, but only 7m of cable, hence the question. The Blue/Yellow 2.5mm Arctic cable is about £1.40/m, so don't want to buy what is not needed.

For me it's not just about the cost, it's about value (ie Balancing the quality, reliability and cost) and for the RCD particularly, will it stop me or my family getting killed!

Thanks everyone so far for the input, much appreciated.

#8 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

That depends, as it is not just about cost. I was looking at a £40 bargain unit in Aldi yesterday, which is the identical unit as here and had 3 outlets, RCD, 10A MCB, but uses cheap F&S components. These are cheap Chinese devices and are extremely poor quality, built to a price. (Google 'F&S C45N' or Here on this Forum) For £40 and 30mins work I can build a better quality unit, with a higher IP rating, with quality commercial parts, but only 7m of cable, hence the question. The Blue/Yellow 2.5mm Arctic cable is about £1.40/m, so don't want to buy what is not needed.

For me it's not just about the cost, it's about value (ie Balancing the quality, reliability and cost) and for the RCD particularly, will it stop me or my family getting killed!

Seems I may have misunderstood you. Are you using a caravan or a tent. If a caravan, why do you need a RCD etc? If a tent, understandable.

Lunar Delta TI

#9 shinydoc

shinydoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:29 AM

Seems I may have misunderstood you. Are you using a caravan or a tent. If a caravan, why do you need a RCD etc? If a tent, understandable.

Not a problem and it was a valid question that I have been asking myself, hence the question on this forum.

Yes, just a tent for the 4 of us.

#10 RogerL

RogerL

Free Spirit

• Top Posters
  • 6,651 posts
  • My outfit: Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

• Expertise: Advanced Driving

Posted 04 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

Just how do you identify a "non-standard" cable? Whilst they must meet electrical safety standards, there is no "standard" which can be checked by a non-electrician.
Roger
Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French, and it is all organised by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the cooks British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians.

#11 Surfer

Surfer

guru

• Top Posters
  • 4,937 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:02 PM

Roger as we all know you get some strange and funny wardens around and if the OP uses for instance a white or black cable instead of orange, the warden may get uppity etc.

Lunar Delta TI

#12 Challenger

Challenger

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Top Posters
  • 2,054 posts
  • My outfit: Swift Conqueror 480 (13)/VW Tiguan 140 Auto

• Real first name: John
  • Expertise: Caravanning, computing

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Roger as we all know you get some strange and funny wardens around and if the OP uses for instance a white or black cable instead of orange, the warden may get uppity etc.

Mine's white so that I can see it in the dark. Never had a complaint. Can't see it matters what colour it is as I am sure it isn't written in stone anywhere!
John

#13 RogerL

RogerL

Free Spirit

• Top Posters
  • 6,651 posts
  • My outfit: Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

• Expertise: Advanced Driving

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

AFAIK there's no colour restriction on the cable, I've seen red, orange, yellow, blue, white and black in use - what happens if the warden doesn't like the colour of your awning?
Roger
Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks Italian, the mechanics German, the lovers French, and it is all organised by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the cooks British, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians.

#14 GaryB

GaryB

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,391 posts
  • My outfit: 2012 Sterling Eccles Sport 554, 2013 Mercedes C220 estate

• Real first name: Have a guess.......
  • Expertise: Engineering & Design Manager
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:04 PM

We have 2. One 25m and one 10m. Usually only use the 10m one but have been known to join them together.

We have the same, I know of two CC sites where we have had to use both.
2013 Mercedes C220 estate
2012 Sterling Eccles Sport 554
2003 Chocolate brown labrador (Fudge), "brain not included"

www.the-ace.org.uk

#15 GaryB

GaryB

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,391 posts
  • My outfit: 2012 Sterling Eccles Sport 554, 2013 Mercedes C220 estate

• Real first name: Have a guess.......
  • Expertise: Engineering & Design Manager
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

AFAIK there's no colour restriction on the cable, I've seen red, orange, yellow, blue, white and black in use - what happens if the warden doesn't like the colour of your awning?

There is no BS or EN spec for over-sheath insulation colour, but the conductor insulation should be to the latest spec (colour). If a warden ever questioned the colour of the outer insulation he obviously hasn't got enough to do. My 25 metre cable is orange & the 10 metre one is yellow.
2013 Mercedes C220 estate
2012 Sterling Eccles Sport 554
2003 Chocolate brown labrador (Fudge), "brain not included"

www.the-ace.org.uk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users