stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • My outfit: VW Touareg V6Tdi

Garage View Garage

Posted 08 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hi All,
I've trawled everywhere for a replacement cartridge for the above mixer tap (fitted to a Hobby) to no avail. Waiting for a reply from Comet in Germany but wondered in the meantime if anyone knew of a UK supplier. Usual suppliers dont seem to carry this cartridge.

Cheers In Advance
Paul

#2 hehey

hehey

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Garage View Garage

Posted 09 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

Thats a resounding No then

#3 Beejay

Beejay

guru

• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hi All,
I've trawled everywhere for a replacement cartridge for the above mixer tap (fitted to a Hobby) to no avail. Waiting for a reply from Comet in Germany but wondered in the meantime if anyone knew of a UK supplier. Usual suppliers dont seem to carry this cartridge.

Cheers In Advance
Paul

What Hobby have you got and which tap toilet or kitchen? My Hobby has Comet mixer taps but there is no filter fitted. I've got several German accessory/parts brochures which show Comet taps but none list filters specifically for Comet.

#4 hehey

hehey

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hi Beejay,
650umfe. kitchen sink tap. Its not a filter I need but the mixing cartridge. One of the flat plastic lugs on the top of the cartridge has snapped allowing water to bypass the lower seal out through the tap body. I have received an email reply from Comet in Germany advising that their UK didtributor will be in touch. Nothing heard as yet.

#5 Ocsid

Ocsid

rock solid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • My outfit: Hymer Nova S 546

• Real first name: John
  • Expertise: Chartered Engineer

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:58 PM

Ring a company called "Rose & Company (Hull) LTD I found them very helpful on another difficult to find German product. They came across as principal importers for Comet. There was a minimum charge which might mean a replacement tap makes more sense.

01482 328231 I dealt with Tim and Steve.

Web link:
http://www.roseandco...?department=WA1

#6 fishman

fishman

guru

• Top Posters
  • 1,148 posts

• Real first name: john

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hey Hey, If you did go down the new route i may be interested in your old tap, Mine has a crack in the lower body of the tap,But othewrise fine, It did leak a little but a tight cable tie has cured it for now!, I would of course pay for S/H tap. Last year i saw one or two on Ebay thinking that was my problem, Worth looking on there, Seem to remember they interchange with another make ??

#7 hehey

hehey

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Garage View Garage

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:43 PM

Cheers fish,
I'm probably just goin to get a new tap, if so you can have the old one with pleasure in which case I'll drop you a PM.

There are two reasons I was looking to replace the guts rather than the tap: 1. Getting to the locknut that holds the tap to the basin is a nightmare. Locating the nut isn't the problem, its getting it undone that causes lots of swearing. 2. Dont know if you ever came across the German equivilent of a jubilee clip, but they are impossible to remove. Will have to cut the pipes probably, unless another Hobby owner has found a removal tool for the pipe clamps.

#8 Ocsid

Ocsid

rock solid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:57 AM

You could buy the new one and just change the guts over,avoiding a van rebuild; then share the cost with "fishman" for the redundant body. Both parties win?

Is the tap fitted in such a way that it can be removed sufficiently with pipes still on to get better accesses to the pipe clips? Either back up through the mounting hole or downwards.
I could with my Hymer as that was piped with flexible tubing and they allowed enough slack for that after removing a couple of securing clips.
I had to make a compact plywood spanner to undo and redo the nut working with it totally blind.

#9 Beejay

Beejay

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Cheers fish,
I'm probably just goin to get a new tap, if so you can have the old one with pleasure in which case I'll drop you a PM.

There are two reasons I was looking to replace the guts rather than the tap: 1. Getting to the locknut that holds the tap to the basin is a nightmare. Locating the nut isn't the problem, its getting it undone that causes lots of swearing. 2. Dont know if you ever came across the German equivilent of a jubilee clip, but they are impossible to remove. Will have to cut the pipes probably, unless another Hobby owner has found a removal tool for the pipe clamps.

Won't the special tap wrench used for domestic taps reach the nut? It has a spring loaded toothed arm that rotates through 90° to grip the nut and acts like a ratchet. Only a couple of £££s to buy. With the nut off there should be enough slack to pull the tap assembly upwards to get at the hose clips.
If the hose clips are the type that are crimped be careful removing them. I find a small screwdriver blade through the crimp loop wriggled back and forth whilst supporting the hose firmly loosens the clip but the hose will be very tight on the plastic nozzles. Slicing it lengthways from the end down along the nozzle will release it.
Pity it's not the toilet tap as I have a brand new one.

#10 fishman

fishman

guru

• Top Posters
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:50 PM

Hi Heyhey, On my 650 i removed the fridge vent from outside giving me a bit of room to access, Dont know if your layout similar, Some of those clips as beejay says can be awkward but seem to remember a GOOD pair of sidecutting knippers will cut off the crimped bit and loosen them but take care, from memory theres a good bit of loose pipe so maybe cut off and remove old bits when taps are out, Sometimes if you can get your fingers on base nut tap can with care be turned/wiggled till nut comes loose,Or as bejay says normal tap wrench, Bejay do you mean bathroom basin tap ???? Wonder if difference is just the spout ?? My spout fine Base cracked,
Regards fishman

#11 hehey

hehey

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:43 PM

Cheers for the replies.
Yep, tried two different basin wrenches, still got rerstricted access, having removed the drawer, microwave and the drawer under the microwave. Think the new tap with removed innards is the way forward as I dont have to fiddle with the lock nut.

As for the hose clips - yep I've experienced them before on the Truma water heater, they truly are a gift from the devil. Why such a robust clip is fitted to a plastic, low pressure pipe is beyond me, but hey in Germany if four nuts will do the job, lets fit 5 !

#12 fishman

fishman

guru

• Top Posters
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

HeyHey, Are you sure the reich inserts wont fit ??? There are the twenty eight and thirty five mm for sale on ebay, I feel sure at the back of my mind they fit??? If you do go full tap Deff interested in body,
Cheers john.

http://blog.0800hand...tap-valves.html ??????????

#13 hehey

hehey

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Garage View Garage

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Damn It
I've got to look again now, thought I decided on a new tap !!!!

#14 Ocsid

Ocsid

rock solid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

As for the hose clips - Why such a robust clip is fitted to a plastic, low pressure pipe is beyond me,

Because the hot water softens the plastic easing the grip and the joint can weep a few years down the line; don't I know, and you think access to your tap is difficult! :sweatdrop:

#15 Beejay

Beejay

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

Cheers for the replies.
Yep, tried two different basin wrenches, still got rerstricted access, having removed the drawer, microwave and the drawer under the microwave. Think the new tap with removed innards is the way forward as I dont have to fiddle with the lock nut.

As for the hose clips - yep I've experienced them before on the Truma water heater, they truly are a gift from the devil. Why such a robust clip is fitted to a plastic, low pressure pipe is beyond me, but hey in Germany if four nuts will do the job, lets fit 5 !

Those hose clips are for speed on production lines. One nip with the special pliers (or U.K. style pincers) = job done. The Germans use them on LPG hose as well. I've got some new ones if you wish to replace like with like.:sneaky:

I still can't see how you can remove the innards in situ. On my tap there are two very small screws holding the innards to the base. Are we talking the same tap?

My toilet tap is the Comet Roma single lever mixer with ceramic cartridge and the kitchen tap, a Ducale model, single lever, ceramic cartridge. Link here Comet Ducale tap search 12072-09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users