Photo

Umwelt Zones Reminder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Don Madge

Don Madge

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

From 1 January 2008 a total of 33 German cities will require all motorists to purchase a "Pollution Badge" in the form of a windscreen sticker in order to enter city centre ?Umwelt Zones? (green zones).

The participating cities are: Augsburg, Berlin, Braunschweig, K?ln (Cologne), Darmstadt, Dresden, D?sseldorf, Essen, Frankfurt am Main, Hannover, Heidelberg, Islfeld, Karlsruhe, Kassel, Leipzig, Leonburg, Ludwigsburg, Madgeburg, Mannheim, M?hlacker, M?nchen (Munich), Neu-Ulm, N?rnberg (Nuremberg), Pforzheim, Pleidelsheim, Regensburg, Reutlingen, Ruhr Area, Schw?bish-Gmund, Stuttgart, T?bingen and Ulm.

You must present your vehicle registration document at Pollution Badge (Umwelt Plakette) sales outlets, including vehicle repair centres, car dealers, MOT (T?v) stations and vehicle licensing offices, and you will be issued with a badge, coloured (Red/Yellow/Green) according to your vehicle?s Euro emission rating.

The cost of the badge is understood to be between ?5 and ?10 and, once issued, covers you throughout Germany for the life of your vehicle. Failure to display a badge could incur a fine of ?40. Enforcement will be managed by the police, local authorities and traffic wardens.

This website gives a lot of information (in German): http://www.umwelt-plakette.de
Also http://www.umwelt-pl...ufcg576a3aq6914

Safe travelling

Don

#2 Green Squirrel

Green Squirrel

Green Squirrel

• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:53 AM

I am in the process of 'testing' a postal advance purchase system - will keep you informed of the outcome.

#3 klyne

klyne

I love Milton Keynes

• Top Posters
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (Green Squirrel @ Jan 3 2008, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am in the process of 'testing' a postal advance purchase system - will keep you informed of the outcome.

Ted

That information would be most useful.

Thanks

David
David - Milton Keynes
Bailey Approach 740 Motorhome + Kia Venga for home

Caravantravels

#4 Rostrevor

Rostrevor

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

I note that this is to be phased in throughout 2008/9 & 10 not all from 1/1/08.
Having looked at the map, do I take it that purely using the Autobahns through certain areas will attract the licence the cost of which appears to be 29.80 euro as the 10 euro fee is for issuing the licence with the number plate.

#5 Don Madge

Don Madge

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

This was posted on MHF by one of the German members.

"The number of cities which have now really introduced Umwelt Zone regulations on 1st January 2008 has reduced to 3: Berlin, Cologne (K?ln) and Hannover. Some more cities, all of them in the provinces Bavaria and Baden- W?rttemberg in the south of Germany, are still planning to introduce them during 2008.

All vehicles that want to travel inside of an Umwelt Zone need to display a sticker ("Umweltplakette") on the windscreen. This sticker is available in three colours, red, yellow and green, where red stands for worst and green for best emission values. During 2008 all Umwelt Zones will be open for all sticker colours, but vehicles with red sticker will be banned from the Umwelt Zone in Hannover from 2009 on, and in Cologne from 2010 on. Berlin will allow all stickers until end of 2009, and afterwards only green stickers. The regulations of other cities are still subject to change.

Motorways are (so far) exempted from the Umwelt Zone regulations, even if they pass through such zones.

The Umwelt Zone regulations also affect foreign vehicles!

It is possible to get Umwelt stickers at all German "T?V" and "DEKRA" offices, which you usually find (pretty well signposted) somewhere in the industrial districts of most German towns. These are the institutions which do the regular technical checks on motor vehicles (like British MOT). With your van's VIN number these institutions should be able to find out which sticker is suitable for your vehicle, and hand it out within some minutes. If you don't find one, ask local people or at petrol stations for the nearest "T?V". An alternative would be to contact a German representative of your MH's base vehicle manufacturer, or a local car registration office ("Kfz-Zulassungsstelle").

BTW, the "T?V" charges only EUR 5.- for a sticker.

The sticker colours correspond to the EURO emission classes, they have nothing to do with the CO2 emissions. Class EURO 1 vehicles do not get any stickers, so they will be banned from all Umwelt Zones. Class EURO 2 vehicles get the red sticker, class EURO 3 vehicles (like the popular Ducato 2.8 JTD engine) yellow, and EURO 4 vehicles green.

Under certain conditions older vehicles might receive a "better" sticker if a particle filter is retrofitted."

I shall be getting my sticker the next time I visit Germany.

Don

#6 Green Squirrel

Green Squirrel

Green Squirrel

• Top Posters
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:24 AM

Also do remember if you are going to TUV and you have the caravan on the back and it complys with 100kmh rules you can now get that done at the same time to allow you a higher speed limit in 'The Fatherland'.

Kill two birds with one stone!

#7 Beejay

Beejay

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Green Squirrel @ Jan 6 2008, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also do remember if you are going to TUV and you have the caravan on the back and it complys with 100kmh rules you can now get that done at the same time to allow you a higher speed limit in 'The Fatherland'.

Kill two birds with one stone!

Not going to leave much money for the holiday!

If I have it correct. The plakett/badge will cost 5? at any TUV/DEKRA station even outside the actual designated zones. The 29? version, that can be ordered by post, is being sold by a commercial company.
The Tempo 100 will take 2hours, cost about 70? and needs to be booked in advance. Not all TUV/DEKRA stations are full time. This link gives details www.germany-tourism.co.uk/EGB/practical_information/driving_in_germany.10326.htm

#8 Rostrevor

Rostrevor

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

This German tourism site gives a good basic idea of the scheme.
I checked out the Hanover City website which states that Foreign registered will be exempt there for the first year. Whether this will apply to the rest of Germany, I wouldn't know.

#9 klyne

klyne

I love Milton Keynes

• Top Posters
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:59 PM

What I want to know is how do you get to the place to buy the sticker without breaking the law in getting there?

David
David - Milton Keynes
Bailey Approach 740 Motorhome + Kia Venga for home

Caravantravels

#10 Beejay

Beejay

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:20 PM

I've posted this on another part of the forum.
I ordered my "Umwelt plakette" a week ago and it arrived today. I downloaded the on-line form from the web stapled a 5? note and a copy of my log book to it and posted. If you order on-line you have to give bank information etc and there will be bank charges at both ends. Stapling a 5? note seemed the easiest/cheapest and it worked. I used Cologne, http://www.koeln.de/ ,click on "Umweltzone" where there is an English version of the instructions. Please note the website says place the sticker on the passenger side, which means, of course, our driver's side. The sticker does show the correct place. It may save problems if it is in the correct place.

#11 JanB

JanB

recycled teenager

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for that link - have printed off the form and will send off tomorrow with my Euro 5.

Jan

#12 motorhomer

motorhomer

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:26 AM

Hello

You can also get one of these stickers at any garage nce over the border. Some charge 5 euros, some charge 10 euros. Done while you wait. About 20 mins.

Motorhomer

#13 Don Madge

Don Madge

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:24 AM

QUOTE (motorhomer @ Mar 26 2008, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello

You can also get one of these stickers at any garage nce over the border. Some charge 5 euros, some charge 10 euros. Done while you wait. About 20 mins.

Motorhomer

I think you will find not "ALL" garages can issue the stickers.

Here's a few links for locations of T?V, DEKRA and Veh Registration Offices that might help if you are purchasing as you enter Germany;

Some links are German, some English, but all are fairly self explanatory...

http://www.tuev-nord.../ots_start.aspx

http://www.tuv.com/d...aedteliste.html

http://www.tuev-sued...service_centres

http://www.wunschken...sungsstelle.php

http://www.dekra.de/...mp;_language=de

Don

#14 motorhomer

motorhomer

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hello Don

Thanks for your Links. I will take a look at them later.

That info I posted was from the German Tourist board [see below] in London so I woud hope they have their facts straight.
However we will try to get it before we go. Not so keen on it being permanently on the windscreen on the drivers side though. The France passion stickers never come off once applied so never stick them on now.

Motorhomer

Quote:- Thank you very much for your email.

The badge for the environmental zones can be obtained at any garage in
Germany.
You can pull over at a garage without an appointment, the inspection
and vehicle registration document check will not take longer than 5-10
minutes and costs around 5-10 Euros.

More information on the badge is available on our website
www.germany-tourism.co.uk
direct link:
http://www.germany-t...ssion_zones.htm

We hope this is helpful.
Kind regards
Dirk Triep
Information Officer

German National Tourist Office
PO Box 2695
London W1A 3TN
Tel.: 0044 20 7317 0908
Fax: 0044 20 7317 0917

#15 Don Madge

Don Madge

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:18 PM

This was a post on the Out & About Forum.

"Further to where to put the sticker. I contacted the German tourist board in London and was informed that for right hand drive vehicles we can place the sticker on the left side out of the wiper sweep. They said providing we are showing the sticker we are legal"

Don