Photo

Alko breakaway cable.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 tony from suffolk

tony from suffolk

I defeated anorexia!

• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:58 AM

I thought I'd treat myself to one of those new-type breakaway cables with the decent snaplink connector.

Finally got round to looking at fitting it yesterday, but it's quite awkward to get at & has a very substantial ring where it joins to the van's breaking mechanism.
It appears the only way to change this is to cut through the old end with an angle grinder, bend the new end open & somehow bend it closed when it's attached.

Or is there another way? stars.gif
Posted Image

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -
Douglas Adams.

#2 bellie

bellie

Illegitimus non carborundum

• Top Posters
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

hello tony Ive done a few of these ...

i found the easiest way is to carefully push a flat blade screwdriver in to the ring on the end of the cable turn it to open it then feed it into the bracket on the handbrake..
A man's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another drink.

Posted Image

bellie39@hotmail.co.uk

#3 Doc - Sadly missed

Doc - Sadly missed

guru

• Inactive
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

I've done as Bellie suggests, Tony, but that split ring is VERY difficult to open up to the required degree; at least it was for little ol' me!!

BTW changing to the proper snaplock connector that can be clipped to a convenient point on the towbar (rather than looping back onto the cable) is a very good idea. Think I'll mention it to my dealer sorting out my new 'van!! Tah!

#4 Ted

Ted

stable

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

I had the same issues when I came to do mine, in the end I didn't have any tools around suitable so just unclipped the Karabiner from the new cable and clipped it to the existing cable in place of the old snap connector.

Ted

#5 tony from suffolk

tony from suffolk

I defeated anorexia!

• Top Posters
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for all your help chaps!

I'll have a go later. It WILL be done!
Posted Image

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -
Douglas Adams.

#6 BIG GEE

BIG GEE

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,317 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:55 PM

I did the same as Iain, but i stabbed myself in the thumb first oops.gif

#7 tony from suffolk

tony from suffolk

I defeated anorexia!

• Top Posters
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:10 PM

Job done!

Relatively easy getting the old one off. I used a 1" wood chisel (!) & levered against some molegrips.

Getting the new one on wasn't so easy. I ended up using the underside of some bolt cutters to squeeze the eye up.
Posted Image

Douglas Adams.