Photo
- - - - -

5th wheel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#16 Maurice

Maurice

that handsome old guy

• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:27 AM

is that a 5th wheel -- with a car being towed behind?

wowow..

I would say that it rather defeats the object -- I would have thought that on reaching a site you would "undo" the 5th wheel bit put the front legs down on the living bit and use the "tow" as a normal car...
Isn't that what normally happens??

I can see another debate starting here !!

Abbey Vogue 215 GTS - Volvo S60 D5 Sports 185 bhp

Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again..

+48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Member of The Masonic Caravan Club of England & Wales

#17 Del

Del

guru

• Members
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

As it is not a self propelled vehicle and therefore requires a tug for propulsion's, in my eyes it is a caravan. Must admit I do like them, recently visited the CC site at Edinburgh and there was one there , it did look good. Only problem is that for me the available tugs are not potential replacements for our current vehicle. Know if a right hand drive diesel auto Dodge Ram were available I would be interested.
A caravan is for 12 months of the year, not just for summer.

Del

#18 SBS

SBS

rock solid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE(TrevorM @ Mar 28 2007, 12:18 PM) View Post
Thanks for the picture Bigdrinks. Definitely not a motorhome. Some might say not even a caravan.
5th wheeler it is then.
I have seen in France a tiny two berth version on a single axle. As well as the normal tow ball there was a hitch device on a roof rack on top of the family hatch. The principle being that the car and van became a fixed rigid unit. Two metal stuts had to be erected under the overhang in order to extract the car. The main problem came when trying to unite the car with the van, two hitches to be accurately positioned for line and level ! In a field, on a slope, in the rain.
He refused any help and it took the poor chap two days. He had only recently bought it and was generally pleased with his puchase, but thought there was the odd design flaw. !
Sorry now that I didn't take a photo.

Cheers TrevorM

It sounds like the French 'Clipcar' which can be found here:

http://www.clipcar-evolution.com/

Mike

#19 TrevorM

TrevorM

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 01:58 PM

Many thanks Mike, the Clipcar it was. Perhaps we may have some French forum members who can fill in the background for us. I noticed thet the web site offers units for sale going back to 1990, so there must be a market out there for something a bit different and not in the mine's bigger than yours groove.
Salut Trevor

#20 chatterdog

chatterdog

guru

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:41 AM

hi everyone - im new to this site but we have a 5th wheel and the reasons i rekon they are better than m.h. and craavans is
1. you unhitch on site so have vehicle to drive around in, so in this respect better than a motorhome.
2. when towing they dont snake or wobble when something overtakes you and are a more stable unit, so better than a caravan
The down sides are that some sites want to charge you for 2 pitches in England and some sites say you cant come on because you use what is considered a commercial vehicle to tow with, but they will let you put the trailer on but not park the 'tug' next to it. This is something I have only encountered in England have used outfit in Spain and France with no problems - have even gone on sites in France which don't allow twin axle caravans. (think the locals know that the 'travellers' wouldn't have such a vehicle)
I have never had a motor home but had caravans - packed in years ago but decided to come back as its lot less hassle and you can go where you want when you want. We looked at motor homes up and down side of having one - then at new caravans but decided that with the large amount of milage we do when going abroad to plump for the 5thwheel it was the safest combination. We dont have a posh unit no slide outs it was made in the states to English spec so legal over here and it doesnt need a yank to tow it. all in all it suits us has plenty of storage outside and in - plus a half bath with shower and yes they are a bit boxy but who cares inside its fab. The worst thing about them is the awning - have found that if its windy we have to roll it back in but have been told to get a safari room (privacy room) and that should help (dont know if its true but we will be finding out - it wasn't something that was needed abroad