Photo
- - - - -

Hymer Nova 390/392(UK) - 2005/2006

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 ALH

ALH

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 02:44 PM

I'm considering buying a Hymer 390 or 392 (UK version) and would be grateful for any comments from owners.

Many thanks,
AL

#2 mike

mike

guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 17 December 2006 - 06:48 PM

I looked at the 390 a couple of years ago and had to reject it. A superb caravan quality wise but the payload was nowhere near enough for my needs.
Empty weight was 1050 kg
Max weight 1200 kg

Leaves a payload of 150 kg, not much if you want to carry a couple of bikes, a telly, awning and perhaps a motor mover with a heavy battery plus a sack of spuds and a crate of Heineken.

Maybe the new models are better in this respect

Keith

My Webpage

#3 ALH

ALH

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Keith.

The max weight of the 2006 UK version is 1350, empty approx 1050 (this has risen to 1100 for 2007).
For us, the 1200 kgs chassis would be fine and indeed preferable. We have never used an awning, preferring a lightweight sun canopy and haven't got bikes, etc, so travel very light. We were looking into buying in Holland or Germany (see separate thread on servicing imports) because we didn't want the full cooker/oven installed in the UK vans, which does nothing for us except add weight! Unfortunately, over here, it's not an option to have it left out.

AL

#4 mike

mike

guru

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 12:43 PM

Eriba would be a good choice then. If you are thinking of new then there may be a longish delivery time in Holland and for secondhand it may take a bit of searching on internet to find the model/year you want.

I know only of one dealer for Eriba, Erica in Zeist, and they're not particulaly cheap in my experience
http://www.erica-rec...e.nl/index.html
or here for 2nd hand. Occasion is dutch for secondhand
http://www.erica-rec...l/OCCA/occa.htm

I suspect that you will be hearing soon from Rob_ajax, he is situated in the R'dam area and knows a load about Eribas
Keith

My Webpage

#5 ALH

ALH

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 01:27 PM

Sorry, wasn't very clear. We were thinking about buying on the Continent. However, getting water ingress checks carried out and warranty work done if required in UK seems to be out of the question. So unfortunately will have to go for a UK sourced van.

AL

#6 mike

mike

guru

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 December 2006 - 03:31 PM

Al, I know you are not now looking to buy on the continent but today found this advert, so just out of interest and for price comparisons....

http://www.caravans......tart%20zoeken

Keith

My Webpage

#7 hymerman

hymerman

wobbly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 December 2006 - 07:21 PM

Hi AL
Not a direct answer to your question as I have a Nova 530 and just ordered a replacement. My current one was one of the first tranche of imports which I have been more than satisfied with, using it heavily both summer and winter, just had the wheel bearings changed so you can tell how far we have travelled. The only real problem was a hot water heater packed up. The upholstery and beds are good as new.
Only problem is the weight but on the other hand I do not have the water ingress that i experienced with my British vans!!!

#8 ALH

ALH

steady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:05 AM

Keith,

Thanks very much. The kitchen layout of that van is what we like - ie no full cooker. Price is quite a bit below the UK dealer price, but to be fair there is more equipment included in the UK version.

Ken,

Glad to hear confirmation about the build quality - everyone says the same. The weight can be an issue which is why we are aiming at the smallest model.

Have a good Christmas,

AL