Photo

Ford C-Max 2.0 deisel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scouser

Scouser

Pub site forum moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:23 PM

I'm about to order a C-Max 2.0 deisel. I tow a Fleetwood Volante, 1450 kg load. The c-Max is supposed to do 1500kg. does anyone tow this weight with one, and what's it like- mpg etc?
Thanks, Norman

#2 john (smiffy)

john (smiffy)

smiffy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:33 PM

i dont have one but with a kerbweight of 1506kg your be towing at nearly 100%

look here
cheers john

Posted ImagePosted Image

it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Baron john of Wisdome

#3 JohnDT

JohnDT

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

Norman

As Smiffy says your will be towing at 100% have you considered the new S-Max. Same 2.0ltr HDi engine which is also used in new Galaxy, Citroen and Peugeot.
John

#4 on the road again

on the road again

Anything for an easy life.

• Top Posters
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

As previously stated well over the recommended ...........

From whattowcar

Ford Focus C-Max - 2.0 TDCi (100 kW/134 bhp)
Date of manufacture: october 2003 - up to now

96%

1375 kg 1431 kg

The match between car and caravan is plausible in accordance with a mix of European standards. However, according to the British Towing Code the percentage (loaded caravan / kerbweight tow car) is 96%.

The towing performances of this Ford with your Fleetwood are perfect (performance index = 103 km/u or 64 mph).

You may expect excellent performances from this outfit. On flat roads it's easy to come along, in which case top gear is applicable under favourable circumstances.

On motorway inclines you will be able not only to come along, but be the first at the top. On steep roads you have more than sufficient power to keep going. On hill starts there will be more than enough power to get going, provided the wheels have traction.

19%

More in detail
Possible top speeds

Possible top speed in windless conditions and head wind force 3
Top speed in 3rd gear is 100 km/u (62 mph) and in head wind it will be 100 km/u (62 mph).
Top speed in 4th gear is 134 km/u (83 mph) and in head wind it will be 125 km/u (78 mph).
Top speed in 5th gear is 131 km/u (81 mph) and in head wind it will be 117 km/u (73 mph).
Top speed in 6th gear is 118 km/u (73 mph) and in headwind it will be 87 km/u (54 mph).

Top speed or speed at 3200 rpm (= 80% of max. power revolution)
Speed in 1st gear is 30 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 30 km/u.
Speed in 2nd gear is 49 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 49 km/u.
Speed in 3rd gear is 73 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 73 km/u.
Speed in 4th gear is 108 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 108 km/u.
Speed in 5th gear is 131 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 117 km/u.
Speed in 6th gear is 118 km/u and in head wind (force 3) it will be 87 km/u.

Acceleration and take over

Acceleration
0 - 80 km/u (0 - 50 mph) with caravan in 12.6 sec. (solo: 6.9 sec.)
0 - 100 km/u (0 - 62 mph) with caravan in 20.3 sec. (solo: 9.8 sec.)
0 - 120 km/u (0 - 75 mph) with caravan in 34.8 sec. (solo: 14.1 sec.)

Usability 6th gear at 80 km/u (50 mph)

Driving on steep roads

Top speed on a gradient of 12% (1 to 8)
1st gear 40 km/u (25 mph)
2nd gear 66 km/u (41 mph)
3rd gear 67 km/u (42 mph)
4th gear isn't applicable
5th gear isn't applicable

Check data

Car make and model Ford Focus C-Max - 2.0 TDCi
Year of issue (or similar) october 2003 - up to now
Power 100 kW (134 bhp) at 4000 rpm
Torque 320 Nm (236 lb/ft) at (or from) 2000 rpm
Kerbweight (may differ in the UK) 1431 kg and 'ballasted' with 250 kg
Tyres 205 / 55 R 16
Transmission Manual (or automatic without torque converter)
Gear ratios 3.070 / 1.860 / 1.240 / 0.840 / 0.616 / 0.497 - final drive 4.07
Caravan Fleetwood Volante 560
Actual laden caravan weight 1375 kg (car towing limit is 1500 kg)
The airflow is: good (height = 2.60 m and width = 2.21 m)
Gross Train weight (car+caravan) 3056 kg

#5 Scouser

Scouser

Pub site forum moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:03 PM

Thank, Guru. I have ordered it now. I was being especially cautious, as the last towcar I ordered was a Scenic, to tow a 1250 van. Only when I got it home, did I realise they had fibbed. Correct me if i'm wrong, but the 85% rule is really for inexperienced/low use caravanners. I did read somewhere that competant caravanners can tow at 100%. I tow brween 3-7 thousand miles a year, in all seasons. Am I considered competant?

#6 john (smiffy)

john (smiffy)

smiffy

• Members
  • 8,175 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

i would tow at 100% or more with the right towcar
ive towed at a higher level when i towed a TA cartrailer with car on
with my frontera

but i drive a 44 ton 60ft artic for a living so i think i have the experiance

if you feel safe then its your choice

unless you past your test after jan 97 and have not taken extra test you cannot exceed 100% of your kerbweight

cheers john

Posted ImagePosted Image

it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice
Baron john of Wisdome

#7 Dave & Lisa

Dave & Lisa

guru

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:30 AM

I drove a 135hp Cmax in zetec trim for a day recently, and in my opion it is at least as good as my Mondeo albeit not quite as heavy.
Plenty of grunt just where it is most needed,and although it only had just over 1200 miles on the clock it was really quick.
I know it was solo but I liked it.
Dave , formerly known as Itsimam !
Lisa, --------------------- Lisa !

#8 chris356

chris356

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:54 PM

i have a 2004 2.0tdci ghia & tow a compass carona 534 1400kg & find it tows very steady & pulls really well in 6th gear & returns 32 mpg at 60 mph @ 1500 rpm, even saddleworth moor m62 east which is quite steep 5th gear 60 mph @ 2000 rpm . the car only carries 2 of us & we dont carry a lot of kit if you was to have a full car & lots of kit then you could be over the limit. i would recomend it as a tow car the only problem we have had is the rear brake caliper hand brake mechanisim binding one last year n/s & one last week o/s £70 exchange & fitted in 30 mins car has done 80,000 miles.the tow bar was very easy to fit there is even a permanent supply 30amp behind the rear n/s panel for the split charge.i read somewhere that avondale used a c max to tow a twin axle at high speed on private land doing some test & reported that it towed steady hope this info helps

#9 GaryB

GaryB

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,479 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 07:53 AM

I have always towed at around a 95% ratio with a caravan & regularly tow over 100% with a car trailer. The recommendation to keep the caravan lighter than the car is to counteract the caravans inherant instability (high flat sides & high centre of gravity). BUT, just as important is correct loading and speed. I load the caravan sensibly & keep my speed to around 56mph. The faster you, the higher the chances of an accident.

If you're happy towing at 95%, then thats fine. Just watch the speed & loading.

2013 Mercedes C220 estate
2014 Swift Challenger Sport 586
2003 Chocolate brown labrador (Fudge), "brain not included"

www.the-ace.org.uk

#10 Ian Dunning

Ian Dunning

guru

• Top Posters
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi Scouser,

I looked at the C max before going for the picasso and was told that they both use the same engine, so I can tell you that there are no pulling problems and it cruises happily in 6th gear on motorways and other roads. Fuel consumption, up to now, has been high 20s but we've only been out twice with this car. having said that, gearbox ratios may affect the drive but as far as the engine goes I have no problems towing approx 1400kg,

Regards,
Ian.
Galaxy Titanium X Powershift and a Bailey Pegasus Verona.

#11 chris356

chris356

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:12 AM

hi ian did not know the citroen picasso used the ford engine i know ford are joint with mazda, we used to have a picasso 2.0 hdi 2001 & found it held the road really well & was the comfiest car i have ever driven it was like sitting in an arm chair we never got to tow with it cause we had a motorhome at the time but i couldnt see the picasso 2.0 hdi pulling up saddleworth moor at 60 mph @ 2000 rpm different league but i rated it as a good car & only sold it to down size, your picasso must be a new model & if it pulls as well as our c max then you wont have problems hitting steep hills thanks chris

#12 ArtistsRifles

ArtistsRifles

Stalwart Fanatic

• Top Posters
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (chris356 @ Aug 3 2008, 01:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi ian did not know the citroen picasso used the ford engine i know ford are joint with mazda, we used to have a picasso 2.0 hdi 2001 & found it held the road really well & was the comfiest car i have ever driven it was like sitting in an arm chair we never got to tow with it cause we had a motorhome at the time but i couldnt see the picasso 2.0 hdi pulling up saddleworth moor at 60 mph @ 2000 rpm different league but i rated it as a good car & only sold it to down size, your picasso must be a new model & if it pulls as well as our c max then you wont have problems hitting steep hills thanks chris

Actually - it's curerntly the other way arond - Fords use Citroen designed diesels as part of a joint venture!!!
Neil.

"If you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss begins to stare back."
---Frederick Nietzsche.

Old Saabs never die - you just see them fading into the distance....
Go Green - drive an ex-Military vehicle at about 3 miles to the gallon!!

#13 Brassneck

Brassneck

Undiscovered genius.

• Top Posters
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (ArtistsRifles @ Aug 3 2008, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually - it's curerntly the other way arond - Fords use Citroen designed diesels as part of a joint venture!!!

............................... along with Peugeot.
In Consilio Sapientia

#14 Ian Dunning

Ian Dunning

guru

• Top Posters
  • 14,232 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hi Chris,

I did have a Picasso (2 actually), one was a 2001 car which was only 90hp but the new car is a 138hp engine which makes a hell of a difference.
I first experienced this engine in a Peugeot and it really pulled well so I don't have any problem recommending the engine,
Regards,
Ian.
Galaxy Titanium X Powershift and a Bailey Pegasus Verona.

#15 Scouser

Scouser

Pub site forum moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Loking back at my original post, it was August 2006. How strange!

however, you may be interested in an update.............

I got the C-max, and was very pleased with it's performance. Keepimg the speed down was the hardest part. 6th gear was not practical, though.

However, that particular car had big problems. The engine management system used to cut in, mostly whilst towing, and usually when the power was high- hill starts etc. The warning signal was "steering pump failue", but the steering gear was always ok. It was in and out of Fords- probably in the 18 months we had it, they had it a total of at least 2 months. They had it on computers- I even towed the caravan around with a technician looking at the computer with me- but could never bottom the fault.

The final straw came when the steering pump actually did fail- I was on the other side of the carriageway before I grabbed it around. Had my wife been driving it, she could have been killed. Back in the garage, Ford's found no fault.

The saving grace was that it being a Motability vehicle, they agreed to change it.

I now tow with a Grand Picasso C4. Very pleased with it.

Norman