Photo
- - - - -

People Carrier v 4x4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Darth

Darth

Mines a double scotch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 26 April 2003 - 05:18 PM

I am in a tizzz.

I have been thinking off changing my car but cant decide on what to go for I have recently seen a Daewoo Musso 2.9TD which has a bit of grunt form a Mercedes power unit, but I have also been informed that the Kia Sedona people carrier is also a great towing option. Have any of you got or know of someone who has any of the above mentioned cars? If so could you let me know how they perform.

Also all you People Carrier and 4x4 owners let us know about your cars.

Let the jury decide :starwars:

Posted Image

"Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight."

#2 Road Runner

Road Runner

Laid back

• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:35 PM

Although I love my laguna and had intended to replace it with a six speeder, thinking maybe something heavier 4 x 4, or people carrier maybe better.

LR Freelander TDI (34mpg) verses Galaxy TCI (48mpg)

Empty piggybank soon at this rate.

John (Road Runner)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying"
Oscar Wild

#3 Cally27

Cally27

Sweet Pea!

• Top Posters
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 08:47 PM

Hi Darth,

Up until 6 weeks ago we had a Isuzu Trooper. But fancied a change. We looked at a Nissan x trail and also a Kia Sorento which is Kia's new baby.

We chose the Kia Sorento. John is very happy with it. ::D: It is very comfortable and towed the van with ease when we went to Lickhill on its first outing with the van.
[color=green]<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>[font="Arial"]Shropshire
Honda - CR-V -

#4 Correen

Correen

yes I meant it

• Members
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 10:06 PM

:yes: we keep looking at the kia sedona and seen alot of people towing with them recently all with good reports
~Destiny comes to pass in strange ways~

Posted Image

JAS Club Member 2006

#5 Darth

Darth

Mines a double scotch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:56 PM

I have just been reading the current Practical Caravan, out today, and it has a feature which includes the New Kia Sorento and I have to say I am impressed. PC say that this budget 4x4 could go down as a 'classic towcar' YOU HEARD RIGHT IT IS A KIA!!! Going by the reports so far this might just be the one for me.

Posted Image

"Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight."

#6 Zebedee

Zebedee

guru

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:52 PM

Kia Sedona is also considered a very good tower. one of our members has one and is very impressed. Practical caravan did a test some months ago and sung its praises too! looks like Kia is a name to watch.
Peter
Viscount Zebedee of Roundabout.

Isuzu Trooper and Swift Conqueror 655 lux (2006)

#7 markf

markf

Daft Wullie

• Admin
  • 13,428 posts

Posted 11 May 2003 - 08:53 AM

Quite a good article in the supplement to Caravan "buying a used 4x4" which lists a lot of the popular 4x4's and has an easy rating system.

And if you are a 4x4 owner already this site looks good for accessories
http://www.4x4access....com/index.html

On a personal note I do like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, loads of grunt and good looking too ::D:

Follow Touring and Tenting on
crowd.png socialtwitter.png socialfacebook.png big-p-button.png SiteSee.png

Ils peuvent nous copier mais ils wil triomphe pas

#8 Del

Del

guru

• Top Posters
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 06:05 PM

Depends on what your requirements are. We have towed with 4x4's for years and wouldnt change. Currently we have a Fronterra Sport DTI and could'nt fault it . As there is only 3 of us it fits the bill perfectley. As we use the caravan 12 months a year the 4 wheel drive comes in handy plus being a heavy vehicle we have no stability problems when towing. people carriers are good if you require 7 seats (with little lugage space) . :drive:
A caravan is for 12 months of the year, not just for summer.

Del

#9 markf

markf

Daft Wullie

• Admin
  • 13,428 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 10:28 PM

I agree that requirements are a major factor, Sonja has to use the car daily so a 4x4 is out of the question. :no:

Popped into the KIA showroom today though and they do look good and reasonably priced although the interior is a bit plain.

The write ups I have seen also look very good

KIA

Follow Touring and Tenting on
crowd.png socialtwitter.png socialfacebook.png big-p-button.png SiteSee.png

Ils peuvent nous copier mais ils wil triomphe pas

#10 Zebedee

Zebedee

guru

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 06:35 PM

I had been looking to change my car (xantia TD) for ages and couldn't make up my mind what to get. I kept changing my mind from estate, people carrier to 4x4 (all diesels). I eventually have got a 4x4 -Discovery 2.5tdi and am very pleased with its pulling power. :drive: I've been out twice with it: last week to Maidstone and this weekend to Stratford on Avon. It pulls lovely, loads of room and looks like I'm getting about 30 to the gallon. And the view from up on high is great. :plane: If it stays like this I'll be well pleased and may get a newer one after my daughter gets married and I dont't have to save so much!!!!! Off to France :wine: in a couple of weeks - that'll be the acid test

#11 Darth

Darth

Mines a double scotch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:19 PM

How old is the Discovery that you have just got? Be great if you could keep us informed of its performance. I have, like you, been going between estate, MPV, and 4x4 and still can't decide which would be best, althoug when we were at the Yorkshire rally we saw the new Volvo 4x4 XC90 needless to say that Mark and myself started to dream.........if only. :laugh: I suppose if I wait a few years I might be able to get a second hand one, as it does look real sexy.

Posted Image

#12 Zebedee

Zebedee

guru

• Members
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 09 June 2003 - 06:31 AM

It's a 94, so 9 years old and has done 100k. In the first week I had it the ariel fell off, first day!!! I arrived at the CC club site at Scragged Oak, Maidstone, at about 7pm and the warden told me I was over heating. There was a hole in the rad!!!!! I was ecstatic and told the dealer I bought it from how ecstatic I really was. However, they were as good as their word and fixed both. I was able to drive home from Maidestone (45 miles) with the help of a can of rad weld and used the car for most of the following week until I took it in to be fixed. Driving home from Stratford (135 miles + new rad!!)) yesterday was effortless and so much easier than when I used the Xantia TD (which wasn't a bad tug to be fair). But the height, pulling power, room etc is great. At the momemnt I'm sold, but not yet got full confidence in it. If I get to & from wherever I go in France without a major misshap, I will no doubt have more confidence in it. Keep you informed of my trials and tribulations!!!! :drive:
Peter

#13 Darth

Darth

Mines a double scotch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 03:11 PM

Please do keep us informed, as it is nice to hear it is an older model, much the same year as I would be buying if I was to go down that road. Hope everything goes well in France and the car, I'm sure, will behave impecably. I know what you mean about the higher seating possition, as we went from a Mazda 626 to a Renault Scenic, and it is a more relaxing drive just being of the road that extra 12 inches. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#14 coopey1

coopey1

guru

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 09:59 AM

Hiya

I tow with a Discovery TDi, our van weighs in at less than the 85% mark. The worst fuel consumption was 17mpg, but was towing at above 50mph with 4 adults, bikes on the roof rack and a 1500kg van. I havnt kept a check on the higher fuel consumption, but I think I average around 22/24mpg.

The Discovery also as aircon, so that dosnt help with the consumption, but it is an excellent tug and very comfortable for the long tows.

My mate tows with a Trooper 3.0TD, who used to have a Discovery for years, says only difference is a bit more grunt from the Trooper for the hills.

Regards
Ian
Coopey,

Derbyshire

Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior 3.2 D-ID
Bailey Unicorn Barcelona

#15 curiosity

curiosity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:56 PM

Hi there.

I don't know if you remember but I posted here a few months ago asking opinions on tow cars because we couldn't decide which to get.
We had decided on the Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI

But, then we started looking at 4x4 and people carriers.
We went round and round in circles and really couldn't decide.
A 4x4 wasn't practical because I would be using it as my main car for taking the children to school and doing my shopping at Tescos :drive:

We finally decided on a Ford Galaxy 2.3 petrol.

We are very very pleased with it, we have towed with it 5 or 6 times now including a trip to The Lake District (6 hour journey) and we really do feel that we have made the right choice.

We have got 3 growing children and so we did need the extra seats, not all of them admittedly but it has certainly stopped a lot of the fighting that used to go on in the back of the car.

Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck in making your decision.

Racheal. :thumbsup: