Photo

Adapters for French gas bottles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 hedgehog

hedgehog

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 12:57 PM

We are going to France for a month soon. french_grin.gif

Our current setup is that we have a Truma heater and a gas cooker which are fed from a Calor gas bottle via a 50mbar regulator.

One option would be to take 2 gas bottles but if possible we would like to arrange it so that we can buy a French gas bottle while we are there.

We spend nearly all our holiday in France, so it seems to make good sense.

The question is, is it possible to buy an adapter fitting so that our UK regulator will fit a French bottle?

The van was originally German - hence the 50mbar, which is not a common operating pressure. Last time we were over there we tried to buy a French regulator at 50mbar, but failed. We still have the German one, and have it so that they are inter-changeable on a pig-tail, but I don't know if that helps either!

We are going via the Eurotunnel. I believe there is a caravan accessories shop in Calais but I don't know exactly where. Can anyone help? help.gif

Edited by hedgehog, 06 June 2005 - 12:58 PM.

#2 klyne

klyne

I love Milton Keynes

• Top Posters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Lorna

How long do you intend to stay in France? The reason I ask is that we use 2 X 6kgs propane and I would think these would last us between 6 and 8 weeks. We only use them for cooking as we tend only to go in the summer and always use electrics.

However if you are keen to buy gas bottles Doc is your man as he has done this very thing and I am sure he will be able to provide you with the info you need.

David
David - Milton Keynes
Bailey Approach 740 Motorhome + Kia Venga for home

Caravantravels

#3 Maurice

Maurice

that handsome old guy

• Top Posters
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

We go to France for 5 weeks each year we generally take two bottles with us 1 x 7kg calor and 1 x 907 camping gas as these are readily available and cheaper in France..

We normally operate on the 907 cylinder and when that shows signs of running out change over onto the "English" blue while we nip down to the local Eric l'eclerk for a new 907...

However saying that we generally manage the holiday and only get another 907 during the last week....

You can get an automatic (or manual) change over valve where you have both bottles connected from this company
gaslow co.

They also sell connectors (regulators) for differing bottles..

don't know if this helps?

Abbey Vogue 215 GTS - Volvo S60 D5 Sports 185 bhp

Happy to meet, Sorry to part, Happy to meet again..

+48 Year Member of The Caravan Club

Member of The Masonic Caravan Club of England & Wales

#4 Doc - Sadly missed

Doc - Sadly missed

guru

• Inactive
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE(hedgehog @ Jun 6 2005, 12:57 PM)
We are going to France for a month soon.  french_grin.gif
. . . . . . . . .  .
I believe there is a caravan accessories shop in Calais but I don't know exactly where.  Can anyone help? help.gif

View Post

Lorna, I was in that Caravane shop in Calais (Calais Caravanes) last Saturday, and it's pretty close to useless!! I was in fact looking for another adapter (not regulator) for my French Twiny cylinder, but gave up when I saw the meagre accessories available and the derth of staff to even ask.

If you buy a French cylinder they are invariably sold with regulators (d?tendeurs). Most use similar clip on attachments, but 'Cube Gaz' cylinders use their own dedicated attachment, so I steered away from those. During the summer 'Holiday' period the gas companies often have special deals on; I got two cylinders and a d?tendeur for just 34? a couple of years ago.

The 50mb regulators are not, now, so common, but should be available if you are lucky. I've bought stuff at DeCuyper Caravan Shop in Poperinge (Nr. Ypres) in Belgium, and there is a big Caravan place in B?thune, somewhere, but I've not visited that one. There are also a couple around Le Mans. I've got a list of various French Caravan and accessory dealers; if you have some idea as to where you are going I could see if there are any likely ones around.

Oh and a 5.5 kg re-fill of French propane (Twiny) was less than 11?; way cheaper than Mr. Calor, here!

#5 hedgehog

hedgehog

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

If you buy a French cylinder they are invariably sold with regulators (d?tendeurs)....
...The 50mb regulators are not, now, so common, but should be available if you are lucky. .. . I've got a list of various French Caravan and accessory dealers; if you have some idea as to where you are going I could see if there are any likely ones around.

I'd be grateful if you could give us an address or two. We are headed down the east of France, destination Besancon and environs. We are travelling on a midnight train on a Friday, so we could arrange to make a detour for some sleep then a shopping trip on Saturday morning if the prospects looked good. We tried a few ironmongers and DIY stores last time, but without success. I'm assuming that our German one won't fit French bottles - though we haven't tried it!
We're away for 4 weeks, so could probably manage on 2 UK bottles, but would really like to have the option of French gas.

Edited by hedgehog, 06 June 2005 - 08:31 PM.

#6 Evans of Sprot

Evans of Sprot

Bearded Wonder

• Top Posters
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:38 PM

I have just spent 6+ weeks in dear old Frogglie and didn't use up all of a 907 cylinder. Its used for cooking only!
Posted Image Click for piccies

Doncaster sur Don

Beam me up Sprottie

Posted Image

#7 terrano47

terrano47

Yet Another European Trophy

• Members
  • 1,657 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:04 PM

Did you eat out a lot then Gordon? thumbup.gif
Posted ImageBarry

Nissan Primera 2.0 SVE + Bailey Ranger 500/4, 96

You'll Never Walk Alone

#8 jswright

jswright

snaking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

We're on an open-ended tour of France at the moment, and cannot find anywhere to obtain a refill for a 6kg propane, so I'd recommend anyone taking plenty with them. That said, we find that a bottle lasts us upwards of 6 weeks and we have two in the caravan, so we have a while to go before the situation becomes urgent.

If anyone can recommend how we find a way of refilling (or exchanging), I'd appreciate them sharing it with me. Also, we're heading for Italy after we've tired of France and don't know the score there, so any pointers would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Jeremy.

#9 xetronella

xetronella

100%

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:10 PM

Hi Jeremy,

Think about getting a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder and rgeulator/connector in France if you intend Euro touring. Gaz is more readily interchangeable than Total, Cepsa, Repsol, Elf and all the other various "local" to different countries makes.

You can change Gaz in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Germany no problems AFAIK, and although it's like "horrendously" expensive here in the UK wall.JPG , prices sur le continong go down as low as 4.50 euros in Spain, last time I heard a price for Italy, 6.70 euros etc etec yes.gif

The onlty major difference is you may have to change the bottle at say, "It is I, L'Eclerc" in France, and at a "Ferreteria" (Ironmongers) in Spain instead of at the campsites. secret.gif

HTH

Mel
scot.bmp
xetronella camping caravanning pages
Posted Image
NEW statics for hire section, EU and UK, FREE, [CLICK HERE to place YOUR ad], and more than 97 pages of information

#10 Road Runner

Road Runner

Laid back

• Top Posters
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:25 PM

Take 2 x 6/7 kg Calor gas and a Camping Gas 907 cylinder with adaptor (Camping Gas being available nearly anywhere) but doubt you'll need it as you should have more than enough Calor gas.

We have had two 6 weeks plus trips recently with the last one where lightning took out our fridge element so were dependant on gas and got by.

(Doc) Tony couldn't agree more about Calais Caravannes yes.gif

John (Road Runner)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying"
Oscar Wild

#11 Maurice

Maurice

that handsome old guy

• Top Posters
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

we tour in Europe each year and have found that UK gas bottle are next to useless over there.

The only consistent ones that you can get all over Europe is the GAZ bottles in all the sises -- but i would suggest that you get a 907 (largest) and the adaptor for use over there if you are going on a protracted journey..

The other course is to get one of the European gas bottle ( of which there are many ) from a local garage... the problem with this they aren't Universal and may not be able to get in the next country...

We travel with a 7 kg Calor and a 907 Camping Gaz -- the reason we only have one 907 is simply the cost of the bottle -- we don't need two...
The way we work is to "run" on the 907 and when that is empty turn over to the Calor -- whist hastily nipping to the shop to get a new 907 -- which as I said are readily available.. this goes back on straight away we get it...

We have toured like this for months at a time and the Blue seems to last fro ever -- certainly till we get back home any way...

So the answer is get a Camping Gaz 907

#12 Road Runner

Road Runner

Laid back

• Top Posters
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Fibre @ Sep 26 2005, 04:06 PM)
we tour in Europe each year and have found that UK gas bottle are next to useless over there.

Why if you start with 2 full bottles giving you 12 or 14 KG of gas? stars.gif

The only consistent ones that you can get all over Europe is the GAZ bottles? in all the sises -- but i would suggest that you get a 907 (largest) and the adaptor for use over there if you are going on a protracted journey..

The other course is to get one of the European gas bottle ( of which there are many ) from a local garage... the problem with this they aren't Universal and may not be able to get in the next country...

We travel with a 7 kg Calor and a 907 Camping Gaz -- the reason we only have one 907 is simply the cost of the bottle -- we don't need two...
The way we work is to "run" on the 907 and when that is empty turn over to the Calor -- whist hastily nipping to the shop to get a new 907 -- which as I said are readily available.. this goes back on straight away we get it...

We have toured like this for months at a time and the Blue seems to last fro ever -- certainly till we get back home any way...

View Post

I wouldn't as Camping Gas refills over there are very expensive 14 to 18 euros for 2.3 kg of gas (the 907 bottle) so I would run on my UK Calor (which should be more than enough if you have 2 full bottles) and have Camping Gas in reserve only.

John (Road Runner)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying"
Oscar Wild

#13 Maurice

Maurice

that handsome old guy

• Top Posters
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(Road Runner @ Sep 26 2005, 04:11 PM)

Why if you start with 2 full bottles giving you 12 or 14 KG of gas? stars.gif

View Post

Have you tried to replace them over there? lol.gif lol.gif

My point was what ever UK bottles you have you WILL require a bottle that you can replace universally over Europe -- and that generally is the Camping Gaz...

how ever you use it is up to you.. yes.gif

I prefer to travel with only two gas bottles not three... to save on over all weight --

1 full x 7 kg Calor bottle weighs in at 18 kg... yes.gif

That is 25 bottles of wine wine.gif thumbup.gif

#14 Road Runner

Road Runner

Laid back

• Top Posters
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:15 PM

Have you tried to replace them over there? lol.gif?

No because you cant no.gif stars.gif

but you can take 14 kgs of Calor which make a very good start (see me through my holidays as a rule) leaving my CG 907 in reserve.

1? full x 7 kg Calor bottle weighs in at 18 kg... yes.gif

That is 25 bottles of wine? thumbup.gif

user posted image and 3 refills of Camping gas 907 so I hope your wine is extremely cheap to make up for all the expensive gas you have purchased and at least 2 unnecessary trip to the shop to change your gas yes.gif stars.gif

John (Road Runner)

Oscar Wild

#15 Maurice

Maurice

that handsome old guy

• Top Posters
  • 17,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 04:42 PM

My point was what ever UK bottles you have you WILL require a bottle that you can replace universally over Europe -- and that generally is the Camping Gaz...

that was the answer...

not the preference of how you use it...